Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Rebranding?

So, I've been giving the blog a lot of thought lately and the more I work with it, the less satisfied I become.

RMC was, admittedly, a quick fix. At the time, I was leaving a blog behind that no longer seemed to fit me (combined with stalker issues and a very nosey and judgemental landlord) but I desperately wanted to blog.

While all of this was happening, ravens were making a huge impact on my life, moons are always a big part of my life, and I wanted my own little "corner" of the blogosphere. From those elements, RMC was born.

I've told myself, even though I considered myself a "life" blogger, to keep my "real" life seperate from my "online" life, but as time passed, I found that the things that mattered to me enough to blog about, were very personal, and very much a part of my life. As I've come to embrace my personal identity as a domestic witch, my online identity began to change with it and now, my real life identity and online identies are beginning to merge.

Yesterday's post title "News From The Dragon's Lair" was actually a bit of a typo. It should have said "News From Rayven Moon's Corner", but in addition to being a blogger, I'm also a journal keeper (for those things I've considered too private for the blog), and in my journal, I refer to our home as "The Dragon's Lair". It was one of those absent-minded errors that I didn't even catch until later in the day.

I call our home The Dragon's Lair for a few reasons. First, there's Draco, my mate. His totem is the dragon and he very much embodies the spirit of a dragon. He has a inner fire when he's passionate about something that translates into his artwork (he's an artist), he also has a firey temper that can leave a person reduced to embers when he's angry (which thankfully, isn't often).

Second, our "house spirit" is a dragon and his spirit is the one we call on when we ward our home. I feel this is a good fit, since dragon's are well-known for protecting their home and what they treasure.

And third, the home of a dragon is called a lair, and like dragons, our home is where we "horde" the things we value.

Naturally, being surrounded by so much dragon energy, it's rubbed off. Being the matriarch of our home, and the mate of a dragon, it's also been necessary for me to develop a relationship with these energies myself. Our home is covered in dragons, with plans to incorporate them even further into our home.

My "mistake" did, however, get me thinking. Obviously, it was second nature to type that out, so much so that I didn't catch my mistake until hours later.

When I finally did catch it, I considered changing the title and republishing it, but who does that? Who republishes a whole post because of the title alone? Not me, I'm too lazy for that.

Besides that, I haven't really begun my campaign to get the blog off the ground, so my traffic is pretty much flat-lined at this point anyway.

I doubt that this move and rebranding will really effect anyone other than me at this point, but just in case, I thought I'd offer up this post on the off chance that I have a lurker or two I'm not aware of.

The new blog will be under the name The Dragon's Lair, or something similar (won't know for sure until I try to make it). I will keep the same twitter account and just change the name. I will make a new fb page though because I can't change the original url and that's already been bugging me. I will still write under a "pen", but it will probably be different.

The new blog will be about everything. Me, my family, Witchlet and Draco, domestic paganism, my business...everything. "A Domestic Witch blogging about Home & Hearth". I even intend to finally open up about loosing my family when my mom passed last year, being a victim of abuse and domestic violence, drug addiction and mental illness. All things that have, and continue to shape, who I am. I'm planning "no holds barred" blogging and the very concept leaves me breathless. All of this in addition to blogging about being a domestic pagan in general and the things I'd already planned around that topic.

While RMC has been a comforting place to rest my weary head, it has served its purpose, and I know it's time to move on to bigger and better things. I hope to see you there!

Blessings,
Rayven